Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Daddy Daughter Bond

My Dad has been on my mind a lot lately. This last April marks 3 years since he passed away. He would have been 74 this last August. Every time I see Lance with Hannah, and now with Eliza, it makes me think…wow, that is probably how my Dad was with me when I was that young.

For those who are new to my blog, or my life in general and don't know my Dad story, you can do a little back-reading if you'd like. But, I know I was a Daddy's girl. Ask my sisters and that's the first thing they'll say, right after "OMG, she was SO spoiled!" And ya, I probably was spoiled..the pet pony, the piano, the anything I asked for…but that's all part of being a Daddy's girl, right?

I can see that bond forming with Lance and Eliza and I see it in place already with Lance and Hannah. And it just makes my heart melt. I'm so glad that they have Lance as their Dad, they're both very lucky little girls. The relationship daughters have with their Dads are so different than the ones they have with their Mothers. In my experience, the Mom is the one who takes care of the day to day grind and the Dad is this special treat they get to spend time with on the weekends when he isn't at work. A trip to the Daddy store (Home Depot) is sometimes the highlight of Hannah's weekend, because it is time spent with Lance.

And little Eliza…she already knows how special Daddy is. Even when she was itty bitty and still fresh, she would stop whatever she was doing as soon as she heard Lance's voice. It's the cutest thing when Lance comes home from work and she isn't expecting him. I can see on her face the moment she hears him come into the room, she lights up and starts looking around for her Daddy. When Hannah was this young, she of course loved her Daddy, but she didn't seek him out like Eliza does. Even though I'm her main food source, there are many times when she would just as soon snuggle in Daddy's lap rather than mine.

When I watch Lance reading Hannah a story, or see him wiggling Eliza's toes, I smile. I smile on the outside and I smile on the inside, because I see what a great family I have and how lucky I really am. I know the time will pass all too quickly and soon enough Lance will be asking some "young man" to bring her home by 10 and to drive safely. Those days are going to be hard for both of us, but probably harder for the Daddy who is letting his little girl grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment