Monday, July 21, 2008

The Woz


I was out in Vegas last week for a work conference. Whew, it was freaking HOT out there!! For whatever reason I felt compelled to walk from my hotel (The Palazzo) to The Bellagio. Preggers, and 107 degrees don't go well together. When I finally made it to the Bellagio, I had to sit in their lobby for awhile taking in the A/C. Lance told me out of all hotels to see there, I should try and see the fountains at the Bellagio because they're so pretty. So I got most of the sweat wiped away and I started wandering around the hotel looking for these pretty fountains. I saw a pretty ceiling, a pretty inside garden, but no pretty fountains. huh?

I wasn't about to ask anybody, because it seemed like something I should probably just know. After wandering around for awhile, I decided I needed to conserve my energy for the hike back rather than continuing to hunt down these elusive fountains. I got back outside and realized, hey, there is like this really big lake here...looking closer, I saw there were these strips running all over the bottom of it. Putting 2 and 2 together, I realized THAT was where these pretty fountains were supposed to be - but they weren't even freaking turned on! $@&%*@!

About an hour later, I made it back to my room to lay down and put my feet up - they had gotten all swollen after that little adventure.

BUT, later that day, my conference started and the keynote was given by Mr. Steve Wozniak - woohoo! Having been to see Mr. Steve Jobs numerous times, I expected to have to wait in line to get in the room, at least a little bit. But this conference was more of an application specific type deal rather than a full fledged geek-fest. When I got to the keynote room an hour and a half before it was supposed to start, the hallway was empty. EMPTY! Do these people not know who the Woz is?? So on the floor I sat, waiting for the crowds to come, but they never did. When the doors opened about 30 minutes prior to speech time, I was in the door and at the front of the room before I could even blink. Front and center! As it got closer to start time, the room actually filled all the way up. The Woz came in on a Segway and zoomed around the room for awhile before taking the stage. After his speech, I stood in a surprisingly short line to meet him and get him to sign his book for me. That was pretty fucking cool :) I told him years ago on a trip to California, I drove by THE garage and he laughed and knew exactly what I was talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment