Thursday, January 1, 2009

1 week old

Our little daughter is one week old today. How strange to hear myself say 'daughter'! This week has absolutely flown by, I can't believe it. It really does just feel like it's been a couple days.

We came home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon and put in place our previously discussed "lock down". Talking with other new mommies and doing some readings, some lockdowns can go on for as long as a week or more. We decided to just go with 2 days. Thinking back, I think I would have been okay with a whole week :) We took those 2 days though to try and establish some sense of routine or at least figure out what we were doing.

I think we did and are doing great. Really all she does is eat, poop, and sleep but she does all of those things aLOT. Lance and I both have spent pretty much this whole week in jammy pants, it's just easier. We decided to nurse, so I've been trying to get that figured out and under control. I think between Hannah and I, we're getting it worked out quite nicely. During the day, it will vary from every 1-2 hours she feeds. At night, sweet little thing that she is, will vary from 3-4 hours between feedings. My inner mommy has come out and while I sleep heavy and hard, it is also a light enough sleep that I can hear her rooting around before she wakes up so I know it's time to scoop her up again. I may wake up a little grudgingly at first, but as soon as I see her pretty little face looking at me all I can do is coo at her.

The during the day nursings though make it a little tricky to do things. I've got a really small window of time to do things before she is hungry again. If she's fallen asleep, I get the full 2 hours. If she is kept awake I only get about 1 hour. Already I've figured that out! :) 

And speaking of, my window of time is now up-