Friday, September 2, 2011

10 Years


Today's post could be about how we'll spend our ten year anniversary this evening, or it could be about how quickly the years have gone, or it could be about the ups and downs throughout the years, or it could be about our wedding oh so long ago. I am going with our wedding…it was, of course, the best wedding we could have ever had.

There are so many stories to be told about that day: friends and relatives that flew and drove from all over to celebrate with us, friends who showed up a day early to the church, nephews who forgot their socks, bridesmaid who forgot her dress, the multiple falls I took throughout the day right up through and including my toast-speech, the limo breaking down at the bar on our way to the reception, I could really go on and on.

Some of you who were at the wedding will remember this…but my good friend and bridesmaid, Jordana is a very clever girl and came up with a little trick to pull on us at the reception. During her toast-speech, she started talking about what a ladies man Lance was, and that over the years he had handed out so many keys to so many people, it was time for those keys to be returned. If everyone he'd given keys to over the years, please come up now and give them back, the fun days of bachelor-hood were over. While Jordana was saying all this, both Lance and I were looking at each other like, WTF is she talking about?! Then about half the room stood up and started bringing keys up to the head table. Random friends, both male and female had keys to turn it…that was freaking hilarious! Jordana had passed out dozens of keys to make this trick complete.

Another favorite story is when it came time to cut the cake. The whole day had just been this amazing blur of wonderful-ness and neither of us had really had anytime to just sit and soak it in. So, we headed up to the cake table to do our thing and all the guests just spontaneously started singing "Going to the Chapel" - I didn't know they were going to do this and I still don't know who lead the charge with that. But, it was so touching and all of a sudden every emotion I had felt that day just came to the surface and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I started to cry, I was just so happy, I had to cry. Lance instantly put his arms around me to soothe me and tell me it was okay. All throughout the evening people had been using their disposable cameras pretty regularly, but at this particular moment, every single camera flash in the room went off to capture Lance responding to my tears.

A great day with a great ending and ten years later, I'm so proud to say we are still very happily married. It is very sad when marriages end, but so very wonderful when you are lucky enough to spend year after year with the one who is your soulmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment