Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pull over…just pull the **** over!

When you see flashing lights approaching you, whether from behind or coming at you, pull your vehicle to the side of the road. Even if you didn't pay attention in driver's ed or don't remember what was taught - it is common sense and courtesy to let the emergency vehicles go around you and not get in their way. One of my biggest irritants is when I see cars ignoring the wailing sirens, or worse, purposely getting in their way.

All too often I see an ambulance or fire truck racing up the street behind me; I don't know where they are going, or what the emergency is, but I know I need to get out of their way. Not too long ago, I was driving down Ingersoll and I heard sirens, so I looked in my mirrors to see where and what it was. I saw the ambulance coming up behind me, so I signaled and pulled off to the side of the road. Out of maybe 8 cars, I was the only one to actually move out of his way. All the other cars just kept driving like there were no flashing lights or wailing sirens. I watched the ambulance try and navigate his way in and out of cars THAT WERE STILL MOVING! Just because you are safely tucked inside your vehicle does not necessarily mean the rest of your family is safe. What if that ambulance is on their way to help your child, or your mom? Would you get your ass out of the way then?

Last night, I was headed to Hy-Vee and was driving up 63rd street. A firetruck had his sirens on and lights flashing as he came towards me. Because I was in the left lane and it was a busy time of day, I couldn't really get over to the side, so I slowed to a stop where I was. For the first time in a long time, I saw all the other cars on the street respond accordingly. I was amazed and happy to see other cars pull over and those in my lane, slow to a stop. All except one dilapidated pickup truck. He appeared quite irritated that all the traffic around him had stopped and was now in his way. He made a big deal of pulling out and around the stopped cars so he could continue on his way down the road.

Please, if you see emergency vehicles coming - pull over. You never know when you are going to be the one in need of an ambulance or fire truck and I'm pretty sure you would be upset to know that they couldn't get to you because traffic wouldn't move for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment