Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dinner with friends

I have always appreciated a nice dinner out with friends. Now that I am a stay at home mom of two, a dinner out is literally that light at the end of my tunnel. Anyone who stays home with their children knows that, there really is no "staying home" part - you are usually on the go quite a bit. So being able to relax over dinner and talk with grown ups is really something to look forward to and is appreciated so much more than it used to be.

Lance and I used to go out for dinner a lot. A LOT. We were your stereotypical DINKS (double income no kids) and spent money on anything and everything we wanted to. Dining out became more of the norm than eating in. Even though I enjoyed cooking and trying new recipes, it was just easier after long work days to head out to our favorite restaurants. We'd call up some friends, who were also DINKS and say, "hey we're going for dinner, wanna meet us there?" The flexibility we had is just a distant memory now. Sometimes I miss it but mostly I just recognize that we've moved on to another chapter in our lives that is no longer about us and what we want; it is about our children and what is best for all of us.

So, when my friends and I make a date to have a dinner out, it is a special treat. If we make plans a week ahead of time, I spend many many minutes (okay, hours) of that week thinking about the fact that I have an upcoming dinner with friends and it's going to be fantastic. We usually take turns choosing the venue, but honestly it really doesn't matter where we go; its the act of going that is important. I always feel so much more myself after having the opportunity to be out without my kids. My inner me comes back out and I can relax and talk without having to think or worry because I know Lance is with the girls and everything is fine.

I'm never gone more than a couple hours and honestly, that is all it takes. I come home completely re-energized and ready to tackle another week of "mommmmmmyyyyyyyy." So, a big thank you to my friends for recharging me last night. Today is going to be a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment