Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Bond of Sisters

I have 6 brothers and sisters, 3 of each. My mom was married to some guy while at the same time my dad was married to some lady. Ironically, they were building their respective families at pretty much the same time and then everybody divorced. My parents met and along came me. So, technically my siblings are "half" but I've never referred to them as such; they're my brothers and sisters. Because of the way our family happened, there is a fourteen year difference between me and the youngest-older sibling. I know they are all much closer with each other because they grew up with one another. I am as close as I can be with them, given our age gap and the way life has happened. But I see the way really close sisters are with each other and I can't help but be a little envious and want my girls to have that same connection.

When Hannah met Eliza for the first time, I saw that bond begin to form. And every day since then, it has grown and strengthened. Eliza lights up when she hears her sister come into the room and she'll start looking around for her. I love watching Eliza's face as she watches Hannah. She looks at her with such awe and love, it is beautiful. Eliza has started reaching for Hannah as well, wanting to be snuggled and held and kissed by her. And every time, Hannah is already reaching out to hold her.

I am not sure how others do it, but I encouraged Hannah's desire to hold Eliza from the very beginning. Hannah was constantly asking to hold Eliza and kiss her. Even when she was itty bitty and would cry, Hannah would look at me very serious-like and declare that "Eliza needs Hannah now, here..I hold her." Hannah often speaks for Eliza, she seemed to get a grasp on the different cries before even I did. Hannah knows when Eliza is tired, wet, hungry, or just wants a snuggle. It is amazing.

Just the other day, Hannah was in her room playing while I was feeding Eliza in another room. Eliza had pulled away and made her "I'm finished" noise, which isn't a cry so much as a contented sigh. Hannah hollers out from her room, "Eliza all done boob now!" I had to chuckle, because she was right. Actually, Hannah is pretty much always right when it comes to what Eliza needs. It warms my heart to see them with one another, and gives me a glimpse into their future as a strong pair of sisters. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment