Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wait…I'm how old??

I had a friend come over for some wine and catching up last week and as I was replaying some of the conversation for Lance, I suddenly remembered the funniest part of the evening. I literally forgot how old I was…

We were conversation bouncing, as you tend to do when it has been so long and there is so much to catch up on. At some point, she brings up her class reunion. She is telling me that her 15 year class reunion is next year and she isn't sure who is planning it or how it is getting planned. I was like, oh wow- MY 15 year reunion is next year too! My class is pretty much all gathered on facebook, so someone created a reunion page to help with the planning. She looks at me a little confused and asked, "your 15 year high school reunion is next year?" I was like, yep! Just to clarify things a little more, she asks, "so, you graduated in 1996?" I said, "oh no, no I graduated in 1992!" At this point, she very gently tells me, "um, it's your 20 year reunion next year." It's hard to say what expression was on my face at that point, but I do know I was pretty stunned to find that out. Somehow I lost four years, I was certain only 15 years had passed since high school.

As I was telling Lance this story, he, of course found it extremely hilarious. He reminded me that we had gone back to Wisconsin for my 15 year, remember? It was in a park, then in a bar, remember? A little belligerently, I tell him "of course, I remember, I was there…I just thought that was my 10 year."

Of course, I can appreciate the humor, otherwise I wouldn't share this story. But for shit's sake, how can I be old enough to have a 20 year reunion coming up?! Obviously my friend knew how old I was and was trying to get me to come to that realization on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment