Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Cats Have Run A-Muck

I know everyone grieves differently and I'm sure that is true for animals as well. Even though, I've always said that Eleanor was Lance's dog, I'm taking her passing very hard. She never listened to me, just like Franklin never listened to Lance. But turns out she was more my dog than I realized. I took care of her all day long, we watched our "stories" together during nap time and towards the end, she'd come sit on the couch next to me for some good head snuggles and we'd just talk.

So, I've been a mess. Some days are better than others, but I'm still crying my eyes out because I miss my dog. I'm still jumpy every time I hear a noise because there's no vicious set of teeth to protect me. Lance comes home from work to find all the locks on the door in place, and I've asked for more locks to be secured to the other door as well.
The cats are also a mess. They have lost their authority figure and are now running willy nilly through the house with nobody to reign them in. Mesa (the old one) is everywhere. She's been acting a little playful lately and hanging out ON the couch during the day. Which had been un-heard of before. George (the black one) is howling and caterwauling throughout the house. I think he actually misses Eleanor quite a bit. Eleanor never let George get too close, but she would tolerate his swishy tail every now and then. George used to be best buds with Franklin and they would literally snuggle and nap together. Then when Franklin moved out, George had a rough time of it and considered Eleanor his replacement Franklin. Henry (the gray one) has been more snuggly with me, if that's even possible. He's always been the one to jump in my lap if I'm sitting down but now, he follows me around even more as if he is worried I might disappear as well.

At any given time, any one of them can be heard tear-assing through the house. Eleanor used to keep them in line. Just one look from her or even her standing up to make a move towards them would make them think twice. Now, they have no ruler and don't seem to know what to do with their new-found freedom. I honestly don't remember what it's like to have a house with cats and no dogs, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or if this is them acting out because they're grieving Eleanor. Well, I'm pretty sure the caterwauling is a form of grieving…a loud form, but then, everyone grieves differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment