Monday, September 12, 2011

Not quiet...

My baby is not a quiet baby, nor was her sister at this age. All day long I hear a range of noises from coos to squeals to almost ear piercing wails. Mostly the sounds are happy sounds and Eliza just having fun, rarely does she make an "I'm unhappy" noise.

The random old person I come across in the grocery store or library feels compelled to comment on my baby. Usually the comments are about how very quiet she is. "What, doesn't she make any noise?" "Wow, she sure is quiet" "Do you suppose she'll start cooing soon?" Because I'm trying to be better about not snarking at the old people, I usually just smile and nod or come up with a reason we need to move to the next aisle, right now. What I really want to say is "Shut the hell up, you're talking out of your ass." Because as soon as they get out of her face, she'll look at me and start babbling as if to say, "ha!" :)

Eliza is just like Hannah was at this age, full of things to say to those whom she deems worthy. Which is really kind of funny, its hard to say how they decide their criteria for worthy, but it's there. I would assume it has something to do with new people, or strangers…but mom is here to visit this weekend and Eliza started squealing at her immediately. I handed Eliza over and she burst out with smiles and coos and proceeded to tell mom all about her days. And they haven't seen each other for months!

Last week I had taken the girls into my hair salon to get Hannah's hair cut. Hannah has been in there a bunch of times, but this was Eliza's first. I asked the owner who is a very seasoned grandma to please hold her while I went with Hannah to the chair. I could have easily kept Eliza with me, but I could see Becky was all but drooling at the sight of a cute little baby, so I was more than happy to give her a chance at some baby snuggles. Eliza opened right up to her and had all sorts of stories to tell her. Becky loved it!

So, I really don't know how babies decide when and who they'll talk to. I'd love to know what is going on in their heads, because they must know something I don't. Or maybe they just like messing with the old people ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment